Park: Magic Kingdom
Snack: Mickey-Shaped Rice Krispie Treat
I’m not sure if it’s the social distancing or if it’s just me missing Disney, but I’ve been doing a lot of baking. Anyone else? Since all of the Disney Parks have been officially shut down until further notice, I’ve been curing my Disney blues by recreating some of my favorite Disney park snacks and watching Disney movies. Over the next few days, I’ll be sharing a movie and snack that makes me think of each of the four Disney World Parks. We’ll start with my favorite and the quintessential Disney park, Magic Kingdom!
Close your eyes and think of Magic Kingdom. What’s the first thing that pops into your head? Two things immediately come to my mind when I do this exercise: Cinderella’s Castle and a Mickey-shaped Rice Krispie Treat. As soon as you pass under the Walt Disney World Railroad on Main Street, U.S.A., you’re instantly hit with the sweet smell of The Confectionery. Cotton candy, fudge, caramel apples, and the list of sweets goes on. I can’t control myself at this point. I have to at least “take a look” at what confections they have to offer. For me, “taking a look” simply means going straight to the Rice Krispie section and picking out the best-looking one on the shelf. I rarely leave The Confectionery without a Mickey Rice Krispie Treat in hand. I still haven’t figured out why everything Mickey-shaped tastes better. After getting my sugar fix, I usually just sit and stare at Cinderella’s Castle for about five minutes. I have been to Disney World well over twenty-five times in my life, and I still stand in awe looking at this castle every time I visit Disney World. With this Mickey-shaped treat in hand and one of my favorite classic Disney movies on, I’m instantly transported to Magic Kingdom.
Mickey-Shaped Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- (1) 10.5 oz Bag Jet-Puffed Miniature Marshmallows
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil (the trick to soft and chewy Rice Krispies)
- White Melting Wafers
- Blue Food Coloring
- White Sugar Pearls (or White Sprinkles)
- Pour bag of marshmallows and Canola Oil into a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave marshmallows and oil in 30-second increments until marshmallows are melted completely, stirring after each increment.
- Slowly mix in Rice Krispies, stirring constantly.
- Grab about 2 tbsp of the mixture, flatten and shape it into a circle, and place on a large piece of wax paper.
- Grab two smaller wads of the mixture (about 1 tbsp, each), flatten and shape into equal smaller circles, and fix them like Mickey ears on the larger circle.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you use all of the mixture. If you have a Mickey-shaped cookie cutter, you can skip steps 4 and 5 and just use the cookie cutter as a guide for shaping your treats!
- Melt White Chocolate in microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each increment. Add blue food coloring and stir until the melted white chocolate is a light blue color.
- Dip the bottom half of the Mickey-shaped Rice Krispies in the melted chocolate.
- Decorate the dipped part of the Rice Krispies with white sugar pearls.